Author Topic: Scripture: Matthew 8:28-34 (6-30-2010)  (Read 117 times)

Offline cizz

• Administrator
  • Hero
Scripture: Matthew 8:28-34 (6-30-2010)
« on: June 30, 2010, 06:51:41 am »
http://www.rc.net/wcc/readings/matt8v28.htm

Scripture:  Matthew 8:28-34   (c) 2002 Don Schwager

28 And when he came to the other side, to the country of the Gadarenes, two demoniacs met him, coming out of the tombs, so fierce that no one could pass that way.  29 And behold, they cried out, "What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?" 30 Now a herd of many swine was feeding at some distance from them. 31 And the demons begged him, "If you cast us out, send us away into the herd of swine."  32 And he said to them, "Go." So they came out and went into the swine; and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea, and  perished in the waters.  33 The herdsmen fled, and going into the city they told everything, and what had happened to the demoniacs.  34 And behold, all the city came out to meet Jesus; and when they saw him, they begged him to leave their neighborhood.

Meditation:  Do you ever feel driven by forces beyond your strength?  Two men driven mad by the force of many evil spirits found refuge in the one person who could set them free.  Mark’s and Luke’s gospel accounts describe this force as a legion (Mark 5:9 and Luke 8:30). A legion is no small force— but an army 6,000 strong! For the people of Palestine, hemmed in by occupied forces, a legion, whether spiritual or human, struck terror! Legions at their wildest committed unmentionable atrocities. Our age has also witnessed untold crimes and mass destruction at the hands of possessed rulers and their armies.  What is more remarkable -- the destructive force of these driven and possessed men, or the bended knee at Jesus' feet imploring mercy and release? God's word  reminds us that no destructive force can keep anyone from the peace and safety which God offers to those who seek his help. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand; but it will not come near you. ..Because you have made the Lord your refuge, the Most High your habitation (Psalm 91:7,9).

Jesus took pity on these men who were overtaken by a legion of evil spirits. The destructive force of these demons is evident for all who can see as they flee and destroy a herd of swine. After Jesus freed the demoniacs the whole city came out to meet him. No one had demonstrated such power and authority against the forces of Satan as Jesus did. They feared Jesus as a result and begged him to leave them. Why would they not want Jesus to stay?  Perhaps the price for such liberation from the power of evil and sin was more than they wanted to pay.  Jesus is ready and willing to free us from anything that binds us and that keeps us from the love of God.  Are you willing to part with anything that might keep you from his love and saving grace?

"Lord, unbind me that I may love you wholly and walk in the freedom of your way of love and holiness.  May there be nothing which keeps me from the joy of living in your presence."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline cizz

• Administrator
  • Hero
Re: Scripture: Matthew 8:28-34 (6-30-2010)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:40:53 am »
To expand upon this study I would like to look at the name of the country that is mentioned in these verses, Gergesenes , which is Strong's G1086 - Gerasēnos and means,  "a stranger drawing near".

As mentioned Jesus was met by only two men that were driven mad by the force of many evil spirits. A legion of unseen spirits can use two, so few, to hinder and bar the way of so many.

Mat 8:28  And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.  

Our Lord was literally approaching and entering a place called  'a stranger drawing near', sounds like a watchman crying out, "a stranger drawing near!"  And he was met not with a welcome of hostility, but with two saying "What have we to do with thee"?

This has reminded me of so many of the arguments and striving that we have all encountered of few standing in the way of our (the many) entering and gathering together to edify and encourage each other, we have been met with "what have we to do with you?"  

Our Lord calmly, un-argumentatively and with only one word sent this unseen legion scrambling..."go"
He didn't even had to ponder what was to be done with them! They themselves with all their ado and crying chose for themselves the solution and their own demise.  grin

What truly has me wondering is why the people of the city came out and besought our Lord to leave them? Verse 28 says no man could pass that way because of the two? Were they not relieved to have the way opened and free go to and from? or were they afraid because the way was opened to "a stranger drawing near"?

Psa 27:1     [[[A Psalm] of David.]] The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Many blessings'

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:48:01 am by cizz »

Offline cizz

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:39:24 am »
Bumping this study! It's worthy of a second look and considerations..

Offline greggk

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:15:42 am »
31 And the demons begged him, "If you cast us out, send us away into the herd of swine."  32 And he said to them, "Go." So they came out and went into the swine; and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea, and  perished in the waters.  33 The herdsmen fled, and going into the city they told everything, and what had happened to the demoniacs.  34 And behold, all the city came out to meet Jesus; and when they saw him, they begged him to leave their neighborhood.

If Jesus would not have left that place, town, village, he more than likely would have been murdered, crucified, slain; why?  If I were a businessman running a business of herding pigs and I had been doing it for awhile and I built up my herd and all of a sudden this guy comes in and somehow causes the whole herd to drown themselves, what am I going to do?  Those pigs aren't coming back.  Why didn't he run the cows in the and leave my pigs alone!  hehe.

Offline cizz

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:07 pm »
Good morning brother!

If you were a businessman running a swine herding business in that location...way back then.. Cz1111

a clear conscience and reasonable justification of what you were doing might would help!  :what:

I would have smiled  grin and said the po' Greeks have to eat too!  huh  :happy:     

cz1115...... cz042.... :character0009: Oooh Lord help me!