Author Topic: Legion - any help here?  (Read 191 times)

Offline dgbygrace

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Legion - any help here?
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:03:46 am »
Ok...a couple more things to throw in the mix:

2 Corinthians 5:13

King James Version (KJV)

13For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause.

2 Corinthians 5:13

Amplified Bible (AMP)
13For if we are beside ourselves [mad, as some say], it is for God and concerns Him; if we are in our right mind, it is for your benefit,

This verse has always made me wonder

Now back to that story.  I searched for the word abyss.  It actually is not used in the KJV at all.  I like to use the amplified version, and yes I know some disagree.  But what I do is look it up there and then go to the blueletter KJV version to find the original words/meanings

Transliteration

abyssos

Pronunciation

?'-b?s-sos (Key)

Part of Speech

feminine noun

Root Word (Etymology)

From ἄλφα (G1) (as a negative particle) and a variation of βυθός (G1037)

TDNT Reference

1:9,2

Vines

View Entry
Outline of Biblical Usage

1) bottomless

2) unbounded

3) the abyss

a) the pit

b) the immeasurable depth

c) of Orcus, a very deep gulf or chasm in the lowest parts of the earth used as the common receptacle of the dead and especially as the abode of demons

Proverbs 15:11

Amplified Bible
    Sheol (the place of the dead) and Abaddon (the abyss, the final place of the accuser Satan) are both before the Lord--how much more, then, the hearts of the children of men?

Jonah 2:5

Amplified Bible
    The waters compassed me about, even to [the extinction of] life; the abyss surrounded me, the seaweed was wrapped about my head.

Luke 8:31

Amplified Bible
    And they begged [Jesus] not to command them to depart into the Abyss (bottomless pit).

Romans 10:7

Amplified Bible
    Or who will descend into the abyss? that is, to bring Christ up from the dead [as if we could be saved by our own efforts].

Revelation 9:1

Amplified Bible
    THEN THE fifth angel blew [his] trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth; and to the angel was given the key of the shaft of the Abyss (the bottomless pit).

Revelation 9:2

Amplified Bible
    He opened the long shaft of the Abyss (the bottomless pit), and smoke like the smoke of a huge furnace puffed out of the long shaft, so that the sun and the atmosphere were darkened by the smoke from the long shaft.

Revelation 9:11

Amplified Bible
    Over them as king they have the angel of the Abyss (of the bottomless pit). In Hebrew his name is Abaddon [destruction], but in Greek he is called Apollyon [destroyer].

Revelation 11:7

Amplified Bible
    But when they have finished their testimony and their evidence is all in, the beast (monster) that comes up out of the Abyss (bottomless pit) will wage war on them, and conquer them and kill them.

Revelation 17:8

Amplified Bible
    The beast that you saw [once] was, but [now] is no more, and he is going to come up out of the Abyss (the bottomless pit) and proceed to go to perdition. And the inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been recorded in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world will be astonished when they look at the beast, because he [once] was, but [now] is no more, and he is [yet] to come.

Revelation 20:1

Amplified Bible
    THEN I saw an angel descending from heaven; he was holding the key of the Abyss (the bottomless pit) and a great chain was in his hand.

Revelation 20:3

Amplified Bible
    Then he hurled him into the Abyss (the bottomless pit) and closed it and sealed it above him, so that he should no longer lead astray and deceive and seduce the nations until the thousand years were at an end. After that he must be liberated for a short time.

I believe the reference to Orcus's idea that the abyss was the holding place for the dead is wrong.  See Proverbs verse.  People who died went to Sheol.  They abyss was specifically set up for demons.  So again my question is why didn't Jesus send them there then?  It is very clear that they knew He had the authority to do so.  What you have brought up sis is good but to me speaks to how the demons came to be there in the first place.  For some reason I am thinking that the answer I am looking for lies with free will.  That free will is not as simple as some make it sound.  We do have free will now but the Lord is still in charge.
The only true work of art is a human soul,
all else is but a reflection