Author Topic: Are Emotions Prophetic?  (Read 242 times)

Offline cizz

• Administrator
  • Hero
Are Emotions Prophetic?
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:06:44 am »
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/03/are-emotions-prophetic/

For thousands of years, human beings have looked down on their emotions. We?ve seen them as primitive passions, the unfortunate legacy of our animal past. When we do stupid things ? say, eating too much cake, or sleeping with the wrong person, or taking out a subprime mortgage ? we usually blame our short-sighted feelings. People commit crimes of passion. There are no crimes of rationality.

This bias against feeling has led people to assume that reason is always best. When faced with a difficult dilemma, most of us believe that it?s best to carefully assess our options and spend a few moments consciously deliberating the information. Then, we should choose the alternative that best fits our preferences. This is how we maximize utility; rationality is our Promethean gift.

But what if this is all backwards? What if our emotions know more than we know? What if our feelings are smarter than us?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline dgbygrace

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Are Emotions Prophetic?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 06:43:34 pm »
OMG!  Sister this is what I have been criticized for my entire life!!!   cz010
The only true work of art is a human soul,
all else is but a reflection

Offline cizz

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:19:06 pm »
Hey sis! It is a very insightful article, but you know me I will hit words and phrases that stick out and trigger my own emotions!  :P

I wouldn't say that people don't trust their emotions, how can we trust what we're trying so hard to say is not real? We seem to cover, ignore and pretend we don't have emotions to begin with, that saying of "we are thinking beings that are burdened by the fact that we feel", so we try to fix that in ourselves and others with "kill off those emotions and just simply ignore them"

We are feeling beings that think and thinking beings that feel... thinking and feeling go together, do both!

We even ignore the feelings that keep coming to us that causes us to say, "ignore what you're feeling and just think!"  are we too embarrassed to admit that we feel? I think so, for most think/feel and feel/think vulnerable at the think/feel that we are ruled by emotions...no body likes to be ruled over!
See there goes the "authority crap" again! I HAVE ISSUES WITH THAT!  :protest:   :rtfm:  Does not anything know how to just be a HELPER! <See! I caught myself feeling something there, you nasty little emotion trying to sneak up on me and have me think you can rule me! Did I think that feeling first or did I feel it then think it?   :innocent: Can you now grasp my crazy of trying to put into words what and who I am?  grin

Offline cizz

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:53:46 pm »
I forgot to end that last post with saying,  that phrase "people don't trust their emotions", that's true I just took the long way around experiencing that for my self!  :happy0005: