Author Topic: Help from the Mods  (Read 95 times)

Offline whirlwind

• Junior
Help from the Mods
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:34:53 pm »
I'm not sure where to ask this question but....I'll do it here.

At the top of the page on this site is a banner that keeps making a beeping sound as I go from page to page.  It reads....

• This website wants to install the following add-on: 'Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 12' from 'Sun Microsystems, Inc.,'  If you trust the website and the add-on and want to install it, click here...

It shows an X on the right side that may well get rid of it but I'm afraid to click on the x as it may sign me up for something I don't want...such as a virus!   Is everyone getting this, is this sanctioned by this forum or....what is going on? 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline RoseofSharon

• Global Moderator
  • Full
  • Location: This world is not my Home - I'm just a passing through.
Re: Help from the Mods
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:10:51 pm »
The banner is actually a helpful thing for The program is NOT a virus, but what it is  asking you to do is install the latest version of Java. This is up to you whether or not you wish to install it, that only thing it is likely to affect as far as I am aware is the arcade section. by clicking the X all you will be getting rid of is the banner. there is NOTHING to sign up on or anything else. It is a free program which the website is built upon. Nothing to worry about, the only reason you are getting this is because you either do not have java installed or you have an old version of the program. Personally this is a program that I trust and usually helps in the long run.

WHat's happenin g is that Internet explorer (I presume that's the program you're using) is protecting your computer and not allowing any active X installations. YOu have the choice of whether or not to install it.

Offline whirlwind

• Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:53:32 pm »
Thank you so much Rose! 

Offline cizz

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »
Hey WW, I'm on my son's puter this week, mine crashed from a virus (AV Security Suite <VIRUS) my son opend his my space pg on my computer and as he was logging out a window popped up and asked to install a google tool bar, he clicked without reading!  huh I have told him over and over no myspace or facebook stuff on my puter, but he won't listen  :protest:  His own computer is so slow from this garbage he has picked up off myspace, I have already had to send his puter to be rebuilt last summer because his crashed. ( a window or block in the middle of your screen popping up are usually the ones to watchout for, a banner or bar attached to the explorer bar is usually worth looking into the program it is asking about but always read more about the program before you decided to install) In this cast the Java I know for sure is safe and sister Rose knows what she is talking about!  grin